Requirements for Admission
To be considered for Kindergarten Admission, Students must:
- Be 5 years of age on or before August 15th of the year of interest.
- Show that they are developmentally 5 to 5-and-a-half using our developmental screening.
Sumner Academy assesses developmental age through use of the Gesell Developmental Observation-Revised (GDO-R) screening.
*Applications for admission are accepted on the basis of test results, previous school records, and personal qualifications without regard to race, creed, or national origin.
The typical Kindergarten Admissions Process is as follows:
- Schedule a tour of the school. On your tour, our Director of Admissions will speak to you in the Admissions Office, give you a packet of information, and take you on a tour of the campus. This is a great time to ask as many questions as you'd like. Plan to stay for about an hour.
- Schedule a GDO-R screening date.
- Students complete the GDO-R. The completed Student Application and Application Fee ($60) are due at this time. The Observation takes between 20 and 25 minutes, and parents will often be asked to stay and speak with the administrator afterward.
- Parents receive an admissions decision by mail. If accepted, this packet will include a contract, fees, and other necessary information to complete enrollment.
Once a child is accepted into our program, the Enrollment Process Begins.
- Complete, sign, and submit your contract and pay the registration fee to reserve a spot for your child. This enrolls them in our Kindergarten Program.
- Submit a copy of your child's birth certificate, an original Tennessee Certificate of Immunization (obtained from your physician or the Health Department).