Requirements for Admission
To be considered for Pre-Kindergarten Admission, Students must:
- Be 4 years of age on or before July 15th of the school year of interest.
- Show that they are developmentally 4 to 4-and-a-half using our developmental screening.
Sumner Academy assesses developmental age through use of the Gesell Developmental Observation-Revised (GDO-R) screening (to learn more about the GDO-R, click here).
The typical Pre-Kindergarten Admissions Process is as follows:
- Schedule a tour of the school. On your tour, our Director of Admissions will speak to you in the Admissions Office, give you a packet of information, and take you on a tour of the campus. This is a great time to ask as many questions as you'd like. Plan to stay for about an hour.
- Schedule a GDO-R screen date by calling or emailing the admissions office.
Students complete the GDO-R. The completed Student Application and Application Fee ($60) are due at this time. The Observation takes between 20 and 25 minutes, and parents will often be asked to stay and speak with the administrator afterward.
- Parents receive an admissions decision by mail. If accepted, this packet will include a contract, fees, and other necessary information to complete enrollment.
Once a child is accepted into our program, families must enroll in order to reserve a spot for their child the following school year.
- Complete, sign, and submit your contract to the Main Office with the registration fee. This reserves a spot for your child and enrolls them in our Pre-Kindergarten Program.
- Submit a copy of your child's birth certificate, an original Tennessee Certificate of Immunization, DOE paperwork, emergency form(s), medication authorizations (if needed), grandparent form, and any other specified documents.
*Applications for admission are accepted on the basis of test results, previous school records, and personal qualifications without regard to race, creed, or national origin.