Sumner Academy is an independent, co-educational school offering Pre-K through Grade 8 education in Gallatin, TN.
From time to time, Sumner Academy requires the support of experienced substitute teachers in our lower and middle school classrooms. We invite those interested in serving our students and faculty in this temporary role to complete this application. Substitute teacher applicants will be contact as the need arises for their particular qualifications, range of experience, and interests. Substitute teacher applications submitted after July 1, 2022 will be kept on file for the 2022-2023 school year.
This is a part-time, "as needed" position. Pay is $45 for a half day and $75 for a full day. Covering for the After-school care is paid $20/hour.
The primary responsibility of the Substitute Teaching position is to support lower and/or middle school faculty during an approved absence from school. Teachers will provide detailed lesson plans and all necessary information about classroom and school routines and procedures. Substitutes report directly to the appropriate division director for grade-level responsibilities.
Substitute Teacher Daily Responsibilities
- Be on campus and in your assigned classroom from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm, or as requested
- Dress professionally
- Submit attendance daily
- Work with an average class size of 18 students (+/- 2)
- Carry out the absent teacher's lesson plans
- Read expectations about student behavior and discipline and follow the School procedures and guidelines
- Help with additional duties and responsibilities assigned to the absent teacher.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Reliable transportation to and from the Sumner Academy campus for your assigned shift(s).
- Ability to clear a Background Screening as well as a Drug Screening, if requested.
Past teaching experience working with school-aged children is preferred.
Other Desirable Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain a positive, welcoming, and professional demeanor
- Able to organize and multi-task with close attention to detail
- Able to work independently as well as collaboratively with adults and school-aged children in a busy environment
- Communicate accurately and concisely
- Demonstrate integrity and maintain confidentiality
This application form is intended for use in evaluating your qualifications for employment. This application is not an employment contract. Please answer all questions completely and accurately. False or misleading statements made during the interview or on this form are grounds for terminating the application process or, if discovered after employment, terminating employment.